Monday, March 9, 2009

writing a play aint easy

“You are required to write an one act play.”
At that moment I felt like, “Oh no. What are we suppose to write about?”
I was clueless on where to start. Thank god, it was not an individual work. My group members were Kalmeet and Dharmini. Firstly, we jotted down some possible themes for our play. However, the themes that keep on striking our mind were regarding friendship and love. However, we wanted to try out something else. Something that is common among teenagers but rarely discussed.
That is when Dharmini came up with a word. TOMBOY! She reminded me of my friend who had the problem during secondary school. It was an issue that is quite spreading among the school children nowadays. Thus we agreed to the theme of searching for one’s identity.
So, we decided to write regarding a girl, named Meghna Rajitha, who acts as a boy. We introduced the character with a boy’s name, Raj (shorter version for her name) in order to give the readers suspense. We decided to reveal the suspense at the end of the story only, where we will reveal her real girl name.
Throughout writing this play, I learned that it is not easy to convey a theme through play. There were times we run out of ideas and jammed. It was difficult to convey the ideas in our brains to words. Sometimes, we were unable to choose the right choice of words. As it was a group work, there were also times when each of us were having different ideas regarding a few scenes. In order to overcome this problem, we divided the scenes. After that we gather all the scenes and did a checking by reading it out to ensure there is a flow in it and none of the scenes are off.
We chose the issue of tomboy as nowadays especially students in secondary schools are facing this problem. This play will create an awareness in them that they should follow their gender identity. Thus, we think that this play is suitable for upper secondary students.

2 comments:

  1. Hype Mogana..
    Am agree with you that writing a play was not easy as it looked like.. I knew it because I also have finished the same task. It was for our assignment right?? Hehehe. Actually I and my partner who was mark also facing the same difficulty like your groups. We really not sure what to write for that one act play. Like your one act play, I and Mark also choose to create a play which focuses on the issues like obesity. We choose this issue due to teenagers nowadays are not aware that this obesity problems could affects their life and with others. It was good when we knew who our target group was when we wrote the play so that it would be much easier for us to deliver the message hidden in the play. In your case, the issue of tomboy could really attract the readers. I am pretty sure about it. I would say that it was not easy to come out with ideas for the play and not surprisingly I and mark also faced the same problems of “our brain jammed”. It was jammed due to cannot come out with the exact words to express our expression in the play that we were about to write. By reading our blog I am sure that your play was full of drama and excitement. It was good to worked with others (group members) because there would be lots of ideas pouring down from the brain and makes the play much more fun and dramatic as it could be. I hoped this was not the last time for you to write a play and if one day you discover that you could wrote plays, go on and be the world greatest plays writer. That’s all for now see you soon may be for the next play..bye-bye and take care…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sadiq for your comment. I did read your play. It was a nice play. Ya, I agree with you that we must know our target group prior to writing a play. This will actually make it easier for us to distinguish which issue to deal on. The issue that Mark and you has chosen is a really good issue as it’s true that most of our teenagers are facing the obesity problem. I do agree with you that working in pair or group are really great. We will have different ideas popping and it makes the play to be interesting. Well, regarding writing a play again is something that I will think back. I don’t think I am creative and imaginative enough for it. But I think you do have the imagination, so I really hope you would polish your talent in it. 
    Ok den. Adios.

    ReplyDelete