Monday, March 9, 2009

Not just drawing and painting are arts. Dance is also an art.


Traditional dance... Malaysia is rich with a lot of traditional dance as all of us are from different ethnics and culture. All the dances have their own style and uniqueness. However, only one dance has amazed me. It is the Bharatha Natyam. It an Indian traditional dance which origins from India. Now, this art is also being practices by the community in Malaysia.
This dance has both combinations of both the dance steps ( nritta) and dramatic art (natya). In this dance emphasises is also given to the facial expressions and gestures. The dancer should be expressive according to the mood of the song that he /she are dancing. Sometimes the dancer may need to change the facial expression in seconds. This is as though the dancer is communicating with the audience using only his facial expression and gestures. This allows the audience to distinguish the various characters in the song that the dancer is dancing.
In addition, the use of make up in this dance is something that I really adore. One might think that the makeup is just a simple matter. However, it is not as easy as some may think. For bharatha natyam, more emphasis is given to the eye part. Thick eye lining that is tilted up a bit at the end will be put on the dancer’s eyes. This is because the eyes play the most important part in the facial expression. On the other hand, the costumes are also amazing. The materials are based on ‘sari’, which is being stitched as a Bharatha Natyam costume. Through the appearance of the costume, we might think that it is very heavy and inconvenient to wear it when dancing. Conversely, it is actually comfortable and allows the dancers to move freely when dancing. What is dance without jewelleries...?? in my opinion, Bharatha Natyam dancers especially the female ones wear the most numbers of jewelleries(not from 916 gold) when dancing. The utmost important thing that each Bharatha Natyam dancers should wear is the dancing bells (salanggai), which they wear on their legs.
A Bharatha Natyam dancer will pass through different stages in the dance. The final stage, which is more like a graduation performance (Arangetram), is an occasion where the guru presents his/her student to the public. This is the time the student will perform the dance to be judged by the public. At the same time the guru’s knowledge of the dance will also be reviewed by others through the student’s performance. That is why only the guru will decide when the student is ready for it. Typically, it will take at least 10 to 12 years of training before Bharatha Natyam dancer is ready for Arangetram.
Dancer of Bharatha Natyam should have good stamina and concentration. This is because the time duration for a Arangetram will be 2 ½ till 3 hours. In addition, the dancer should perform at least a minimum number of eight songs with only a very small break in between. Some of the songs might even take up 15 minutes per song.

I learned this dance when I was six years old. At that time, I was unable to understand the underlying meaning of the songs that I dance. I just follow whatever my guru teaches me.
It took me two years to finish my basic which is ‘salanggai pooja’. I can still remember the excitement at that moment. It is one of the memorable moments for me.
“Mogana, do some ‘bhavanai’ when you are dancing.” I have never realise what was the purpose my guru said so, as I had always thought we must only remember the dance steps and dance following the rhythm of the song. However, I started to realise it when I was in my teenage age.
Bharathanatyam is not just about the dance steps, it also combines the dramatic art (bhavanai / natya). Facial expression and gestures are very vital for this dance. The dancer should be expressive according to the mood of the song that he/ she is dancing.
I began to understand that the facial expressions that we give when dancing actually help to deliver the underlying meaning of the song. It is actually as though I am communicating with the dancer using my dance steps and facial expressions together with the gestures. There were times when I had to change my facial expressions in seconds.
Many will be thinking that it is very easy to master this art, but it has never been as easy as they thought. It took me two years to finish the basic level. I was on my way to the final stage (Arangetram) after learning the dance for almost eight years; however I had to stop due to my studies. And if I want to continue, it will take me at least another five years. That is not a short period at all. It is almost like studying to be a doctor!!
When we were required to read an extract in the book “Now Read On”, I immediately recognised that the extract is about bharathanatyam due to my previous knowledge about the dance.
Watching a dance performance and watching a play or drama is the same. We have to give importance towards the characters’ expression and gestures besides their speech to know about the play and the characters’ traits.
Finally, one should learn a traditional dance as it is an art that we should uphold. It is very gifted to know our own traditional dance as it reflects our own identity. Maybe after I finish my degree, I might also pursue to complete my dance. Wish me the best for it. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Dear Moganadevi,

    Splendid! Awesome! Great! What else can I say...I am wondering... :) My dear, your blog is so nice...something which I really wanted to read about and that's it! Its here!

    Since I've known you for the past three years, just like Effah, I could clearly remember you for your dance...you could do both modern and traditional! Your talent in dancing is certainly great...You have been our dance 'guru' during our practices for dance performances back in IPTI. How can I forget that? :)

    Well, what that interest me the most about in this blog is that the little facts about this dance that I never knew. What that was new to me about this particular dance was about the 'Arangetram'...something like graduation you meant...I thought that a Bharat Natyam dancer would perform on a stage only when there is a competition for it or in temples to worship the Lord. Guess I was wrong with my knowledge about that all this while.

    Besides that, what surprised me the most was when you claimed that a Bharat Natyam dancer would have to dance for more than just a few minutes! Guess I would have got my legs crammed if I was asked to dance it...=) Wow! I am really amazed about the qualities that it requires its performers to have and treasure...facial expression, the eyes, costume, accessories used for it and above all, the guru's intellectuality in it. Indeed, it commands a lot of challenge as for one got to have good stamina and concentration for it. I am seriously impressed with this form of art.

    So, Mogana, a heartfelt thanks to you for your blog about this dance. Got to know something new as well as got my facts right about it. Thanks buddy! :)

    Regards,
    Kalmeet K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment kalmeet. well regarding the dance guru, i still have a lot to learn.
    It is good that you have gain a lot through my post about bharat natyam. It's true that a Bharat Natyam dancer would perform on a stage only when there is a competition for it or in temples in order to worship the Lord. But we can only strat to dance in public till we have finished the first stage of the dance which is the 'salanggai pooja'. it is a ceremony where the students will get blessings from our guru and our guru will give us our first 'salaggai' which is the bells that we wear on our legs when we are dancing. after that dance ceremony, only we are allowed to perform on other stages and in temple.
    Like you said, you can get your legs crammed if you dance for a long time, yeah it is true not everyone can make. we must actually have a very good stamina and practice a lot. practice makes perfect. ;-)
    I hope i had cleared some of your doubts. Thanks for reading this post. Bye.

    ReplyDelete