Monday, March 30, 2009

Oedipus in play vs. Oedipus in movie

When we were asked to watch this movie, I was eager to see how Oedipus will be walking. To my disappointment, he was walking as fine as others. That was the first thing I realised in the movie. The movie was not up to what I expected. Mainly it was because Oedipus was not portrayed as how I imagine he would have been. He was supposed to have a club foot; however I did not see this in the movie. He was able to run up and down the stairs as a normal person, whereby he was supposed to limp. His costume also did not represent him as a King. There was one point I was confused between Creon and Oedipus as Creon was better dressed; more like a King. The character of Oedipus was not portrayed well as a King. I could not see any dignity in the way he brings himself and talks. I think Oedipus was more portrayed as a person with dignity in the play rather than the movie. There is some differences with the play and movie.
Overall, the movie did not appeal to my interest due to its’ bad visual and audio system. I could barely hear their speeches.
There is one thing that is still bugging my mind.... “Iocaste looks too young to be Oedipus’s mother.” Don’t you think so?

2 comments:

  1. Hello Moganadevi,
    Ermm...so which one do you prefer ?the movie or the play?I would rather say that they should improvise the movie.I realised the way he walked too.

    Well,i think the play in written has its own beauty.In my view,wacthing a movie and reading a play is totaly dufferent.

    When we watch a movie our eyes tend play the major part as it scans and scemes to on the setting,characters and not really on the dialogues the characters talk.We may undertand the gees of the dialogue yet not listening fully to the whole dialogue.While reading the play , the dialogues speaks more than the visual effects like the movie.Thus,it brings a wide range difference in undertanding the play.

    Thus,i hope we will get a better copy soon which will hit our expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far i prefer the play. but if there is new version of the movie, and if it is better than the previous one, that time it will surely be the movie... ha..ha..ha...

    ReplyDelete