Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Reading a play or watching a movie…??

Oh my god… What am I reading…?? That was the phrases that appear in my brain when I read a play especially the plays that we read for this semester such as Oedipus Rex and King Lear. However, Dr.Edwin asked us to watch the movie of these plays. I think he knows that each of us is totally lost reading the play and watching the movie might help us out with it.
Well, watching the movies does bring me a few benefits. It somehow enhances my understanding if the play better. Besides, there were also some parts and scenes of the play that I cannot visualize. However, through watching the movies, I had a clear visual of the scenes and also had an idea of the setting and lifestyle of the people in the play in those eras. Additionally, the scenes that I watch in the movies leave a greater impact rather than the same scenes which I read in the play. Visual does stay longer in mind rather than words.
However, I realize that I should not rely fully on the movies. I should read first the play to get a rough idea of what it will be about. Reading plays is as though putting a base, meanwhile watching the movie gives a better support to the base.
In a way this idea could actually be used in future when I will be teaching in schools. Even though the students will not be learning on plays, the same tactic can be used for novels. I could actually ask them to read the novels first before allowing them to watch the movie. This in a way will interest the students to read the novel. After that, I can reward them to watch the movie. In a way, it attracts students yet builds their understanding of the story.
Both reading the play and watching the movies compensate each other to make us understand better. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment