Friday, April 3, 2009

Simulated teaching

Mr Harold who is our tutor for EDU 3217 has been asking us to bring in something creative in our teaching. Well, it was good in way, as it made all of us to come up with different activities and tasks. We might have repeated the same aspect, but it was not in the same way.
This actually encouraged us to come up with interesting activities. Some of my friends come up creative ideas such as drawings, using masks of the characters when reading the dialogue, completing diagram, and group works. By doing such activities, it actually encouraged the students to participate actively. It would be good if we manage to keep it up this kind of creativity when we teach in a real life. ;-) It can actually create a different atmosphere for the students in literature class.
Unfortunately, there was time constraint during the presentation. Many of us had to cut short our teaching because there were a lot of us who had not presented. This however led to disappointment to some of my friends. They were really very keen in doing their simulated teaching. Maybe they can do it in two years time when they are in school. :-) Thus, in my opinion, next time when we are doing simulated teaching, we must start earlier.
This simulated teaching allows me to overcome the fear to teach in front of the class. The evaluation forms that I have received from my friends allow me to know my strengths and weaknesses. One of the weaknesses that I read was my friend asked me to be more creative in future in developing my activities, which I will improvise. I really appreciated such comments. Thank you for evaluations and comments.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mogana,I firmly agree with some of your views regarding the simulated teaching.Overall you did a wonderful job.But the only thing is that, is the choice of the play that you have chosen for this course's simulated teaching.

    Even though "Dance Like A Man" is a great play that was written by Mahesh Dattani,most of us read didn't read the play.As a future English teachers, it's quite easy for us to comprehend the text even though we have not read it.

    But,just imagine the fate of your students if you are conducting the same method in the the classroom in two years time.Definitely you will loose the concentration of the students in your classrooms.The choices of materials and text are the important elements in determining the smoothness of the teaching and learning process in the classrooms.

    What would happen if you get posted to the school in rural area where the students are poor in their background knowledge.Somehow, it will effect their credibility and the same time,you will loose their concentration and this will make your lesson meaningless.

    Please don't take it in a negative perception.This is just a suggestion that I would like to offer to you.If I'm in your place,of course I would choose the text that are quite familiar for them because I will be able to maintain the flow of the teaching and learning process in the classroom.It's quite important for us as future teachers to sustain the interest and the participation of the students throughout the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Krishna. It's true on what you mentioned that i should be more careful in choosing the material that i want to teach in class. i will keep this in mind when i teach in school. thank you for your sincere comment. :-)

    ReplyDelete